Reklama | Kontakt |
| more

Poznan - City of Parks

| |
  



Poznan can be referred to as a green city as green spaces constitute about three-quarters of the city area. The majority of them are the parks. There are as many as 44 of them occupying the area of approximately 443 ha.




The Citadel Park – the largest park rich in attractions

The largest one is the Citadel situated to the north of the Old City. It is one of the most popular parks of Poznan. Situated on the Winiarskie Hill which used to be the royal vineyard . In 1828 the Winiary Fortress started to be built here. It was a huge structure spread along 100 ha. As it was seriously damaged in 1945 and demolished afterwards, only the remnants of the whole structure have survived till the present day.

The southern slopes of the hill were turned into cemeteries. Since 1962 the whole area has been transformed into the Citadel Park. It was meant as the Monument of Brotherhood in Arms and Friendship between the USSR and Poland. Since 1992 it has been simply known as the Cytadela Park. Its numerous advantages include a large area, the remnants of the Prussian stronghold and museums. Though the park is located in the city centre, one can find peace and quiet there.

The museums: the Poznan Army Museum, the Museum of Arms and the Greater and Museum of the Poznan Citadel present the history of the Citadel fortress, the armament, the Greater Poland resistance activities, etc. Since recently, every year around Easter the Citadel Park witnesses a religious event. Passion Plays are performed here after dark, attracting crowds.


Wilson's Park and its Palm House

Wilson's Park, whose origins date back to 1834, was first a tree nursery. It was transformed into an attractive public park in 1903. What distinguishes Wilson's Park from other green spaces of Poznan, is not only the statue of Thomas Woodrow Wilson, the American president, but its facilities such as: alpine plants garden, a fountain, a concert hall bowl and for most, the Palm House.

The Palm House, established in 1929, has been thoroughly renovated and expanded in the 1980's and 1990's. Its rich collection consists of 17,000 plants. The species, accounting to approximately 700, are mainly subtropical and equatorial ones. In the concert bowl concerts are held in summer. In the southern part of the park one can walk along the paths close to the ponds feeding the swans and ducks on the park ponds.


Karol Marcinkowski Park – students' park

Marcinkowskiego Park, situated on the grounds of a former fortress, has been open to the public since 1906. Originally, it was named after Frederick Schiller, German poet. Its present name is connected with Karol Marcinkowski, prominent social activist and doctor.

It covers the area of 9.5 ha. The typical landmarks of the park include: a bust of Juliusz Slowacki, famous Polish poet, and the sculpture of a girl with a peacock. The park is most popular with dating students as it is located in the vicinity of the universities of Poznan.


Mickiewicz Park – combinatin of nature and architecture

Mickiewicz Park, open to the public in 1910, is something for lovers of architecture and nature. It is from here that one can enjoy a view of the monumental buildings of the Grand Theatre (commonly called the Opera House), the Castle and Collegium Maius. It is part of the Moniuszko Grand Theatre complex with a water pool, a fountain and a path around. A nice place to relax!


Jan Kasprowicz Park – entertainment mecca

Jan Kasprowicz Park, covering the area of approximately 9 ha, is situated in the Lazarz administrative district of Poznan. The park, named after Jan Kasprowicz whose face can be seen as a relief on a stone obelisk on the park edge, was established in the 1930's. With its extensive green area, it is a perfect venue for strolling, walking dogs and flying kites. The park, however, is mostly famous for its outdoor swimming-pool and an indoor sports and recreation hall, called ''Arena'', with a UFO-like dome where sports events, concerts, shows, etc. are held.


Solacki Park – romantic landscape garden

Solacki Park (Solacz Park), occupying the area of 14.6 ha, dates from the early 20th century. It is situated to the north-west of the centre in the middle of one of the most beautiful districts of Poznan. The park, modelled on the romantic English gardens, is mostly famous for its landscape features: two ponds, created by damming the Bogdanka rivulet, with the water birds and wooden bridges. Apart from the typically Polish tree specimens, one can find some exotic ones like Canadian hemlock, bold cypress and red fir. For the past few years there have been general renovation works going on in the park.

 

 

Things to do in Poznan

PDF Guide to Poznan

To receive the free PDF guide to
the best of Poznan please fill in
the short form:

email:

country:

Poznan ads